People develop close relationships with their pets and consider them to be family members, so it’s natural for us to want to take our pets wherever we go. If you plan on going out and about with your cat, be it for regular walks or family trips, you need the right equipment. Cat backpacks are a great way for your cat to travel safely with you as they provide comfortable and secure space for them to relax and enjoy the ride as much as possible. However, before choosing the right backpack, you need to bear a couple of things in mind, such as your cat’s size, whether they suffer from anxiety or not, and the mode of traveling.
Based on these factors, we’ve tried to identify the highest quality backpacks for your feline friend, and we took into consideration several other things, such as the materials, the price, Amazon ratings, and what the customers had to say about them. We’ve rounded up 5 best-rated backpacks that will keep your cat safe and cozy wherever you go.
In terms of practicality, comfort, and safety, LEMONDA Portable Travel Pet Carrier Backpack stood out as a clear winner. This backpack is durable and has a transparent window and ample ventilation to keep your furry friend comfortable. With a built-in lock to prevent your cat from escaping, this backpack is a win-win for both you and your cat.
Looking for dog backpacks instead? Check out our roundup of the best dog backpacks.
The 5 Best Cat Backpacks
|Best Overall||LEMONDA Portable Travel Pet Carrier Backpack||4.5|
|Runner Up||Lollimeow Pet Carrier Backpack||4.6|
|Best Budget Buy||PetAmi Premium Pet Carrier Backpack||4.4|
|Best Cat Bubble Backpack||HUO ZAO Expandable Cat Carrier Backpack||4.7|
|Best Cat Backpack for Large Cats||PETRIP Cat Backpack||4.7|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: LEMONDA Portable Travel Pet Carrier Backpack
LEMONDA Portable Travel Pet Carrier Backpack has a space capsule design that will make both you and your pet stand out from the crowd. You can wear the backpack on your back, in the front or in your hand, according to your preferences. It’s made of selected canvas and high-density acrylic material and it has an exterior transparent, breathable cover that helps ease pet’s anxiety. The backpack has ventilation holes that promote air circulation and make sure that it doesn’t get stuffy inside. For your pet’s safety, there is a built-in lock that prevents your pet from running out.
LEMONDA backpack is a great choice if you’re about to travel, hike or simply go for a walk with your pet. Apart from looking as a part of space equipment, the bubble window also provides your pet with the chance to peek and take a look around while you’re carrying them. The customers praise its sturdiness and durability, and say that it doesn’t feel heavy due to well-padded straps. The backpack supports up to 14-pound cats and 11-pound dogs. It’s available in various colors and you can get it at the price of $36.
LEMONDA Portable Travel Pet Carrier Backpack Key Features:
- Space capsule design
- Made of selected canvas and high-density acrylic material
- Exterior breathable transparent cover helps ease pet anxiety
- Designed with mesh
- Ventilation holes
- Built-in lock for safety
- Well-padded straps
- Measures 12.6 x 11.4 x 16.5 inches
- Supports up to 14-pound cats and 11-pound dogs
- Available in various colors
Our Runner Up Pick: Lollimeow Pet Carrier Backpack
With a Lollimeow Pet Carrier Backpack, you can take your cat wherever you go without worrying about their safety. Designed to be cat-safe and comfortable for your kitty to travel in, this backpack features a large front window at the front to offer your cat excellent visibility of their surroundings. It provides ample space for your pet to settle in. In fact, it’s expandable, so your kitty will have even more room to move when you set the backpack down for a rest. It also has latch hook that you can attach to your pet’s harness to prevent them from bouncing around.
The Lollimeow Pet Carrier Backpack is made from durable, pet-safe material. Other notable features includes its 9 ventilation hole and an anti-scratching net that ensures the interior is breathable and comfortable. It also has a top handle for easy lifting. The design is not only practical and convenient, but also stylish, and you can choose from a variety of colors. According to the reviews, the ventilation works really well and the backpack is lightweight and comfortable for both cats and their owners. You can get your own Lollimeow Pet Carrier Backpack for $45.
Lollimeow Pet Carrier Backpack Key Features:
- 9 large ventilation holes
- Clear front window
- Anti-scratching net
- Side opening for comforting your cat
- Adjustable shoulder straps
- Supports up to 13 pounds
- Available in several colors
Best Budget Pick: PetAmi Premium Pet Carrier Backpack
If you need to stay on a budget, but still want to provide your pet with a with a high-quality transportation, PetAmi Premium Pet Carrier Backpack is what you need. This backpack has optimal ventilation design that promotes airflow and a soft sherpa bedding to make your pet feel comfortable throughout the way. It features waist and chest buckles to give you additional support and a safety strap to secure your pet and prevent escape. There is also a padded shoulder strap and back mesh for comfort and keeping moisture away. Additionally, there are side pockets for extra storage and a collapsible bowl for food and water.
The backpack is made of 600D high-grade polyester to ensure durability. It supports up to 12 pounds and it works great for small dogs and small to medium-sized cats. The customers particularly like the addition of a bowl, its sturdy back and bottom, and its reasonable price. There are 7 colors available and you can get this backpack at the price of $25.
PetAmi Premium Pet Carrier Backpack Key Features:
- Multiple mesh windows for better airflow and outside view for your pet
- Top access point for convenient entry and exit
- Soft sherpa bedding
- Made of 600D high-grade polyester
- Waist and chest buckles
- A padded shoulder strap and back mesh
- Safety strap
- Collapsible bowl for food and water
- Supports up to 12 pounds; suitable for small dogs and small/medium-sized cats
- Measures 11.5 x 9 x 16 inches
- Available in 7 colors
Best Cat Bubble Backpack: HUO ZAO Expandable Cat Carrier Backpack
The HUO ZAO Expandable Cat Carrier Backpack is designed to provide safe and comfortable outdoor experience and you can wear it on vacations, hiking, camping, while taking a bus or traveling by plane. The backpack features a bubble window to let your pet enjoy the view during your outings and it also helps minimize pet anxiety. It is suitable for cats up to 12 pounds and comes in two unique designs: a baby pink color or a Pokémon Poké Ball design.
For your own comfort, there are padded shoulder straps. The backpack is also super lightweight, weighing less than 3 pounds, so you won’t find it taxing to carry your cat around in it. Similar to our Runner Up Pick, this cat backpack is expandable. The HUO ZAO Expandable Cat Carrier Backpack also has multiple ventilation holes around the front and sides of it to promote air circulation. Additionally, it features a mesh cover and a velvet pad. Customers say that the backpack is incredibly sturdy and light, and in the majority of cases, cats quickly got used to their own space capsule. The backpack is available at the price of $53.
HUO ZAO Expandable Cat Carrier Backpack Key Features:
- 9 vent holes around the backpack
- 2 side mesh pockets
- 1 floral cover bubble shape window
- Padded shoulder straps
- Weighs less than 3 pounds
- 9 ventilation holes
- Velvet mat
- Choice of pink or Pokémon Poké Ball design
Best Cat Backpack for Large Cats: PETRIP Cat Backpack
If you’re looking for a backpack that can provide enough space and comfort for a large pet, PETRIP Cat Backpack is a great option. This extra-large backpack has a futuristic design with a bubble window that gives your cat a great view of the surroundings during your outings and it helps minimize the anxiety of a confined space. It has 9 air holes and 2 mesh areas on each side to provide efficient ventilation. For safety, there is an inner leash to prevent your pet from running away. Apart from being comfortable for your pet, it also saves your energy as it has adjustable padded shoulder straps and a chest buckle.
The backpack is made of oxford cloth and PU leather and it can be cleaned easily by wiping. The material is scratch-resistant and waterproof. The white pad inside the backpack is removable and machine-washable. The backpack supports cats up to 22 pounds and dogs up to 15 pounds. It also folds flat when not in use so it doesn’t take up a lot of room. PETRIP backpack is available at the price of $56.
PETRIP Cat Backpack Key Features:
- Space capsule design
- 9 air holes and 2 mesh areas on each side
- Inner leash
- Padded shoulder straps and a chest buckle
- Made of oxford cloth and PU leather
- Scratch-resistant and waterproof
- Removable and machine-washable inner white pad
- Supports cats up to 22 pounds and dogs up to 15 pounds
- Folds flat for easy storage
Who Should Buy a Cat Backpack
Pet owners often feel reluctant about not taking their pets with them when they’re traveling, so a cat backpack comes in handy when you want your feline friend to join you on your adventures. Cat backpacks are also useful for shorter trips, such as taking your cat for a walk or to the vet. If you have a large cat, these backpacks might be a better option compared to cat carriers, as they take off the pressure from your hands and are less strenuous to carry. They are designed to be sturdy, but not to feel heavy on your back, so they save your energy and enable you to enjoy the outings with your pet to the fullest.
According to customer reviews, cats are also the ones that seem to prefer backpacks to regular cat carriers. It’s often the case that they get used to them quite fast, they enjoy peeping through bubble windows, and they feel so comfortable in it that they even start sleeping there. Therefore, many cat owners often use these backpacks for all sorts of outings with their pet and incorporate it into their daily routine. Another benefit of cat backpacks is that most of them are made in the accordance with the regulations for carry-on bags, so they are airline-friendly. This allows you to keep your cat with you during a flight, which is a safer option than putting it in the cargo area. Cat backpacks are ideal when you’re traveling by plane, but if you just want to enjoy walks with your pet and you’re not too keen on carrying them on your back, check out our review of the best cat strollers.
Important Features to Consider
A cat backpack should do several things well. Here’s what to consider when selecting a backpack for your feline friend:
- Size. You need the backpack to be spacious enough so that your cat can feel comfortable while standing and turning around. Also, the backpack should have a bottom that’s sturdy enough to support your cat’s weight without collapsing. Most backpacks include upper limit notes in their descriptions, so it’s important to measure and weigh your cat before you decide on a particular cat carrier.
- Two types. You can get two types of cat backpacks: bubble or carrier bags. Bubble backpacks have a space capsule design, which includes a shell exterior usually made of polycarbonate and a semi-sphere “bubble” for cats to be able to look around while you’re carrying them. These bubble windows give your pet a great view of the surroundings and help reduce the anxiety of being in a confined space. Bubble backpacks are designed with durability in mind and they prove to be a worthy investment. A carrier bag is typically made of either leather or oxford cloth-a thick woven fabric with improved durability. They usually feature mesh areas on each side to promote air circulation and to allow your pet to peek through. Carrier bags can also have a front-style design that enables you to wear the backpack on your chest. If you’re about to embark on a journey with your pet and you prefer a more traditional handheld carrier, take a look at our list of The Best Cat Carriers and Travel Crates.
- Materials. As we’ve mentioned earlier, cat backpacks should be made of durable materials that are designed to support your cat’s weight and last for a long time. It’s a good idea to double-check whether the stitching is done properly around the bottom and shoulder straps before making your purchase.
- Safety. A well-designed backpack should feature security additions to prevent your cat from escaping. Most cat backpacks have a built-in security lock that you can attach to your pet’s leash or collar and keep them safe during your outings. If your cat is known for escape attempts, you should refrain from buying a backpack that opens at the top and decide on the one that has either a transparent plastic opening or mesh.
- Efficient ventilation system. A cat backpack shouldn’t be a stuffy space where there’s not enough fresh air so you should always make sure that the carrier is breathable. Many backpacks have several mesh windows that promote air circulation.
- Comfortable on the back. Apart from being comfortable for your pet, a backpack should also be comfortable for you as you’re likely to be wearing it for longer periods of time. A well-designed backpack should take off the pressure from your neck and lower back. Many backpacks also have a chest strap that helps distribute the pressure more evenly and prevent any back pain. Also, the chest strap is helpful in preventing the backpack (and your pet) from bouncing around.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a cat backpack?
A cat backpack is a type of a cat carrier that can be worn on your back like a regular backpack. It’s used for taking your pet with you while traveling or just for regular outings such as walks or visits to the vet.
How do I get my cat used to a cat backpack?
At first, it’s a good idea to put your cat’s favorite treats in the backpack and leave the entry open so that they can go in and out. Once your pet goes in, you can close the door for a couple of minutes so that they can start getting used to the feeling of being inside the backpack. While doing so, you should also praise them for good behavior to make the atmosphere relaxed. You should do this several times before you actually take them on a trip with you so that your pet has enough time to become accustomed to the carrier. When you decide to carry them with you, put the cat rear-end first in the backpack to avoid making them feel anxious. Once you’ve closed the entry, put the backpack on your back slowly so as not to disturb them and head out. While you’re wearing your pet, check in on them from time to time to make sure they’re feeling alright. It’s also a good idea to start with shorter trips, and when your cat becomes acclimated to the backpack, you can go on to longer journeys.
How long can I carry my cat in a cat backpack?
There is no general rule for how long you can carry your cat in a backpack, it depends on your cat’s nature and behavior. Once a cat has become acclimated to the backpack, you can take them on longer trips. You should always make sure that the backpack doesn’t feel too heavy and exert a lot of pressure on your neck and back. However, if you cat becomes overly anxious while in the backpack, carrying them for longer periods of time isn’t advisable.
How much weight can a cat backpack hold?
Cat backpacks are designed for smaller and larger pets alike and they typically come with a recommended weight limit, so you should always weigh your cat before you decide on a particular cat carrier.