If you are a dog owner that likes to ride a bicycle, a dog bike trailer can enable you to safely bring your dog with you on your bike ride. There are different dog bike trailers available, depending on the size of your dog and what features you need. Some of the dog bikes collapse for easy storage and travel, while others also work as a dog stroller.
We reviewed dozens of dog bike trailers to uncover the best of the best. We looked at each model to see what kind of weight restrictions it has so you know if you can use the trailer for your specific dog, as well as if the specific dog bike trailer is good for small or large dogs. We even looked at dog bike trailers that convert to dog strollers.
We choose the Best Choice Products 2-in-1 Pet Stroller and Trailer w/ Hitch, Suspension as our top pick for the best dog bike trailer available. With its convenient stroller conversion capability and large 20 inch rear wheels, it is a feature-driven option for most bike riders.
The 5 Top-Rated Dog Bike Trailers
|Our Top Pick||Best Choice Products 2-in-1 Pet Stroller and Trailer w/ Hitch, Suspension||4.2|
|Our Runner Up Pick||Aosom Elite II Pet Dog Bike Bicycle Trailer Stroller Jogger w/ Suspension||4.4|
|Best Budget Pick||Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer||4.6|
|Best Bike Trailer for Large Dogs||PetSafe Happy Ride Aluminum Dog Bike Trailer||4.6|
|Best Bike Trailer for Small Dogs||Booyah Small Dog Bicycle Trailer||4.2|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Best Choice Products 2-in-1 Pet Stroller and Trailer w/ Hitch, Suspension
The Best Choice Products 2-in-1 Pet Stroller and Trailer w/ Hitch, Suspension is the best dog bike trailer available today. Costing around $150, you can have all of the features you’d expect in a high-end dog bike trailer without overpaying. Its mesh vented windows keep your dog comfortable even on warm summer days.
This dog bike trailer converts to a dog stroller, so you’ll get the functionality of both for the same price. It has a 66 pound weight limit. Its universal style hitch works with most bikes.
If you travel on paved roads or bumpy bike trails, this model is a good option. Its large rear wheels keep your pet far enough off the ground to be comfortable. A front wheel makes it a more stable trailer on short grass, pebbles, and sidewalks.
Best Choice Products 2-in-1 Pet Stroller and Trailer w/ Hitch, Suspension Key Features:
- Mesh vented windows
- Can be used as a stroller or bike trailer
- Universal hitch
- 66 pound weight limit
Our Runner Up Pick: Aosom Elite II Pet Dog Bike Bicycle Trailer Stroller Jogger w/ Suspension
If you want a reliable dog bike trailer from an industry-leading name, the Aosom Elite II Pet Dog Bike Bicycle Trailer Stroller Jogger w/ Suspension is a reliable choice available in three different colors: red, white, and blue. It also converts to a dog stroller and has large 20″ wheels. Its frame is made from a lightweight steel that is durable and rust resistant.
This dog bike trailer can safely hold up to 88 pounds. It has three entrance doors, making it easy to get your pet in and out of the trailer. The front wheel can be set as fixed or swivel, depending on how you plan to use the dog stroller.
Aosom Elite II Pet Dog Bike Bicycle Trailer Stroller Jogger w/ Suspension Key Features:
- Three entrances for easy access
- 2-in-1 dog stroller conversion
- Fixed or swivel front wheel
- Large 20″ rear wheels
Best Budget Pick: Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer
At less than $85, you’d be hard pressed to find a more affordable dog bike trailer than the Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer. It is manufactured by Schwinn, an industry-leading manufacturer of bicycles and bike accessories. It’s available in fun colors, such as a bright blue or orange.
It is a highly portable steel frame that neatly folds and has quick release wheels that make it easy to transport or store it. It has a number of notable safety features to keep your pet safer, including an adjustable leash length and a non-slip trailer floor. It is rated for pets up to 50 pounds.
Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer Key Features:
- Supports pets up to 50 pounds
- Folds for easy transport and storage
- Non-slip trailer liner is removable and washable
- Adjustable leash length
Best Bike Trailer for Large Dogs: PetSafe Happy Ride Aluminum Dog Bike Trailer
If you own a large dog, you may feel that your options when it comes to dog bike trailers are limited. The PetSafe Happy Ride Aluminum Dog Bike Trailer is an excellent choice for owners of large dogs. It safely supports large dogs up to 110 pounds. Its lower design makes it easier to get in and out. Plus, a sunroof that can open enables your pet to look out the top of the dog trailer on your ride.
There are multiple pockets on this large trailers to hold water bottles, treats, and poop bags so you can have easy access to everything that you need on your trip. It is constructed of a 600 denier polyester with waterproof floorboards and doors. It even includes a removable, washable cushion for the ultimate in comfort.
PetSafe Happy Ride Aluminum Dog Bike Trailer Key Features:
- Removable, washable cushion
- Includes sunroof
- Wider wheel base for added stability
- For dogs up to 110 pounds
Best Bike Trailer for Small Dogs: Booyah Small Dog Bicycle Trailer
Owners of small pets have their choice when it comes to dog bike trailers, as small pets are unlikely to be over the weight capacity of any trailer. The Booyah Small Dog Bicycle Trailer is a dog bike trailer specifically made for small dogs. It is designed to comfortably support dogs up to 20 pounds.
It is very quick and easy to fold down the trailer, making it a convenient addition to any household with a small dog. A few standout features this option offers are a 3-layer sunroof, a mesh screen, and reflective strips to promote greater visibility.
Booyah Small Dog Bicycle Trailer Key Features:
- Specifically designed for smaller dogs up to 20 pounds
- Easy to fold
- 3-layer sunroof
- Reflective strips
Who Should Buy a Dog Bike Trailer
A dog bike trailer is most useful for dog owners who also own and ride bicycles. If you rent a bike or only borrow one occasionally, it wouldn’t make sense to purchase a dog bike trailer because you may need a different model based on the wheel size. If you don’t own a bicycle but are looking into a 2-in-1 dog bike trailer and stroller for the stroller function, there are other dog strollers available that might better meet your needs.
Additionally, some bike riders exercise with their dogs running beside them. A dog bike trailer is an excellent option if your dog is older or otherwise not able to keep up with long bike rides. It’s also a way to keep your dog safely contained.
Important Features to Consider
A dog bike trailer should have several important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a dog bike trailer:
- Installation. Some dog bike trailers claim to be universal bike trailers, but may not work with every type of bike. It’s important to verify that any dog bike trailer you want to buy can work with your specific bike model.
- Bug screen. A bug screen can protect your dog from mosquitoes and other bugs while enjoying the ride.
- Weight capacity. Not all dog bike trailers have a large weight capacity so you will need to make sure that any dog bike trailer you use is rated for your dog’s size.
- Suspension. A dog bike trailer with a suspension system will create a smoother ride than a model without one. If you plan to ride on bumpy paths, your dog will certainly appreciate a bike trailer with a good suspension system.
- Collapsing or folding frame. If you need to transport your dog bike trailer in a car to get to a bike trail or store it in a small space, it’s important to choose
- Pneumatic tires. Pneumatic tires are air-filled, as opposed to a solid plastic construction. The tires provide a cushioning effect while you ride your bike and trailer over bumpy roads.
- Canopy. A canopy can protect your dog from the sun or a light rain while traveling in the dog bike trailer.
- Rain cover. A rain cover is a specially designed plastic cover that goes over your dog bike trailer to keep your pet dry when riding in the trailer in the rain.
- Doors. A door provides an easy access point for you to get your dog in and out of the trailer without much hassle.
- Floor construction material. Some dog bike trailers do not have solid floors and instead have a fabric bottom. While this might be okay for some small dogs, a solid floor provides more support for both large and small dogs.
- Leash hooks. A leash hook is how you’ll attach your dog’s leash to the inside of the dog bike trailer. This can prevent your dog from immediately running out of the door when it is opened.
- Adjustable handlebar. For 2-in-1 models that convert to dog strollers, an adjustable handlebar makes it possible to raise or lower the handlebar to match your height so you can push the stroller comfortably.
- Stroller conversion. Some of the dog bike trailers on this list are 2-in-1 models that convert to a dog stroller. If you’re interested in buying a separate dog stroller or would benefit from using a dog stroller once you get to your destination, a 2-in-1 model is a great option that can save you money and space.
- Wheels. You can find dog bike trailers with a wide range of wheel types, including wheels of different heights.
- Shipping. Dog bike trailers tend to be large and relatively heavy. If you order your dog bike trailer online, you’ll need to carefully consider the cost of shipping in your decision of which model to buy.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a dog bike trailer and how does it work?
A dog bike trailer is a separate compartment on wheels for your dog that attaches to your bicycle. With a dog bike trailer, you tow your pet behind you as you ride your bike. Once you have set up your dog bike trailer, you put your dog inside the trailer usually through a door, attach their leash to the leash hook (if available), and start riding.
What size bike trailer do I need for my dog?
The size bike trailer you need will depend on your dog’s size and weight. Most of the dog bike trailers we evaluated were appropriately sized for medium sized dogs weighing less than 30 pounds. If your dog is smaller than this, you could use any size dog bike trailer. However, if your dog is a large breed, pay special attention to the dimensions of the dog trailer and the weight capacity.
What type of hitch will work for my bike?
A hitch is what will connect the dog bike trailer to your bicycle. A universal hitch is intended to be connected to any bike. However, just because a hitch is advertised as “universal” means it will necessarily work with every bike. Some bike styles, such as certain mountain bikes, will not work with a universal hitch. You will need to confirm that your bike will work with your specific bike trailer.
Some bicycle manufacturers have dog bike trailers with brand-specific hitches and trailers. If you are concerned that you won’t be able to find a dog bike trailer with a hitch that works for your bike, choosing a model manufactured by the same company as your bike can be a smart idea.
In addition, there are certain hitches made by the same manufacturer for different dog bike trailer models. For instance, Aosom offers a Type A and a Type B universal bike trailer hitch coupler, depending on the specific trailer you want to tow.
Why does my trailer tow off to the side of my bicycle?
There are two primary reasons that a dog bike trailer would tow off to the side of your bicycle while you are riding it. First, some trailer manufacturers intentionally design their trailers with the hitch placed on the center line of the trailer and not the center line of the bike. This makes it easier to pull the trailer. Otherwise, when the hitch is angled to hook to the bike, your trailer would drift out of alignment and not travel in a straight line.
If your specific trailer does not have this feature, it’s possible that something is wrong with your set up or that you are going too fast. When you ride your bike with a dog bike trailer attached, it makes it much longer. You may have to ride slower to compensate for this to make it more stable.