Digestive enzymes help dogs break down their food and absorb its nutrients. They are produced naturally by the body, but many dogs can benefit from digestive enzyme supplementation. Dog digestive enzymes are available in powder, soft chew, and capsule form. Some products also contain other supplements such as vitamins and probiotics to support your dog’s health. Dog digestive enzymes are particularly beneficial for older pets and those with acute health conditions which prevent their bodies from producing sufficient enzymes.
We reviewed dozens of dog digestive enzymes to identify the best of the best, based on factors including quality, affordability, and Amazon reviews. We then narrowed down our search to 5 of the top-rated dog digestive enzymes available today.
During the course of our research we identified PetVitalityPro Probiotics for Dogs with Natural Digestive Enzymes as the best dog digestive enzymes. The tasty chews have 20 active ingredients to support digestive health, boost immune system function, and improve your dog’s overall health and vitality.
The 5 Top-Rated Dog Digestive Enzymes
|Best Overall||PetVitalityPro Probiotics for Dogs with Natural Digestive Enzymes||4.4|
|Runner Up||Zesty Paws Advanced Multivitamin for Dogs||4.7|
|Best Budget Buy||NaturVet Digestive Enzymes Plus Probiotic||4.3|
|Best Dog Digestive Enzyme Powder||NUSENTIA Enzymes for Dogs & Cats||4.1|
|Best Dog Digestive Enzyme Chews||Zesty Paws Probiotic for Dogs with Natural Digestive Enzymes||4.7|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: PetVitalityPro Probiotics for Dogs with Natural Digestive Enzymes
PetVitalityPro Probiotics for Dogs with Natural Digestive Enzymes are formulated with premium ingredients to support your dog’s digestive health. The soft, tasty chews perform a range of important functions in your dog’s body, including boosting the immune system and promoting absorption of vital nutrients.
This popular and well-reviewed product is perfect for preventing issues such as diarrhea, constipation, malabsorption, and yeast infection. It is also suitable for dogs with skin conditions and other illnesses caused by immune imbalances.
PetVitalityPro Probiotics for Dogs with Natural Digestive Enzymes Key Features:
- Complete digestive health and immune system booster
- Helps protect against infection and disease
- 20 active ingredients
- Healthy and tasty soft chews
Our Runner Up Pick: Zesty Paws Advanced Multivitamin for Dogs
If you’re looking for a dog multivitamin with digestive enzymes, look no further than Zesty Paws Advanced Multivitamin for Dogs. The 5-in-1 formula provides support for the skin, coat, joints, heart, digestive function, and immune response.
The tasty chews contain over 35 vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that provide daily nutritional support for dogs of all ages. Reviewers say the product is effective and the flavors are popular with their dogs.
Zesty Paws Advanced Multivitamin for Dogs Key Features:
- Advanced 5-in-1 formula supports your dog’s overall health
- Contains powerful digestive enzymes
- Over 35 vitamins, minerals, and nutrients
- Suitable for dogs of all ages
Best Budget Pick: NaturVet Digestive Enzymes Plus Probiotic
NaturVet Digestive Enzymes Plus Probiotic is formulated to help your pet break down food for optimal utilization of nutrients. The affordably-priced powder contains digestive enzymes including alpha-Amylase, protease, cellulase, and lipase.
The veterinarian formulated powder is suitable for cats and dogs, and comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Reviewers say the product is effective, well-priced, and long-lasting.
NaturVet Digestive Enzymes Plus Probiotic Key Features:
- Provides probiotics and essential enzymes
- Veterinarian formulated
- Suitable for cats and dogs
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
Best Dog Digestive Enzyme Powder: NUSENTIA Enzymes for Dogs & Cats
If you’re looking for a an effective and natural dog digestive enzyme powder, NUSENTIA Enzymes for Dogs & Cats is an excellent choice. The great-tasting, convenient powder contains 11 types of plant-based and systemic digestive enzymes that help keep your pet’s digestive system running smoothly.
This product is suitable for cats and dogs with health problems including indigestion, toxin-buildup, and yeast issues. Just one economical scoop per day supports complete nutrient absorption for great health.
NUSENTIA Enzymes for Dogs & Cats Key Features:
- Contains 11 types of plant-based and systemic digestive enzymes
- Supports complete nutrient absorption
- Suitable for cats and dogs
- Veterinarian recommended
- 364 servings
Best Dog Digestive Enzyme Chews: Zesty Paws Probiotic for Dogs with Natural Digestive Enzymes
Zesty Paws Probiotic for Dogs with Natural Digestive Enzymes contains powerful probiotics and digestive enzymes to support digestion, immune function, and protein utilization in dogs of all ages and sizes. The flavorful chews are useful for relieving issues such as gas, bloating, constipation, and stomach discomfort.
The chews double as a healthy treat and are a great addition to any canine’s diet. Most reviewers highly recommend these probiotic bites, and say they are great for pets with sensitive stomachs.
Zesty Paws Probiotic for Dogs with Natural Digestive Enzymes Key Features:
- Contains powerful probiotics and digestive enzymes
- Delicious pumpkin flavor bites
- Supports digestion, immune function, and protein utilization
- Suitable for dogs of all ages and sizes
Who Should Buy Dog Digestive Enzymes
Digestive enzymes are produced naturally by the body, and are vital for digestion and overall health. Their role is to break down food and make nutrients available for absorption. Unfortunately, many older dogs and those with digestive disorders or other health conditions do not produce an adequate amount of digestive enzymes. This can result in nutritional deficiencies that can impact a dog’s health.
Supplementation with digestive enzymes is a great solution for dogs that are unable to produce enough enzymes naturally. If your dog has digestive issues, please ask your veterinarian if dog digestive enzymes are appropriate for your pet. If your dog has a sensitive stomach, check out our review of the best organic and natural dog foods for some limited-ingredient, tummy-friendly options for your dog.
Important Features to Consider
Dog digestive enzymes should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting the perfect digestive enzyme supplement for your pup:
- Ingredients. Look for a supplement which contains natural digestive enzymes that are proven to help your dog break down food and absorb its nutrients. The four most beneficial types of digestive enzymes are protease, amylase, lipase, and cellulase. These help break down protein, carbohydrates, fat, and fiber in the body.
- Added supplements. Many dog digestive enzyme products contain additional supplements to support your pet’s health. These include multivitamins, prebiotics, and probiotics. Digestive enzymes with added supplements can be a good solution for dogs that need additional dietary support. Please ask your veterinarian if these products are appropriate for your dog.
- Formula. Dog digestive enzymes are available in powder, soft chew, or capsule form. We recommend choosing a product that’s both economical and easy to administer.
- Affordability. Dog digestive enzymes usually need to be given daily. For this reason, the price of supplements can quickly add up. Consider your budget when choosing dog digestive enzymes, and aim to buy the best product within your price range.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are dog digestive enzymes and how do they work?
Dog digestive enzymes are a type of supplement that replace vital enzymes produced by the body. These enzymes help dogs break down food and absorb its nutrients. Digestive enzyme supplementation can be very beneficial for older dogs or those with health conditions which prevent their bodies from producing enough enzymes.
Are digestive enzymes the same as probiotics?
No. digestive enzymes and probiotics perform different functions in the body. Digestive enzymes are proteins which are produced in the gastrointestinal tract. Their role is to break down food into digestible nutrients. Probiotics are live microorganisms which aid overall digestive function.
How can I add digestive enzymes to my dog’s diet?
Digestive enzyme supplements can be given to your dog directly or mixed into their food. They are available in powder, soft chew, or capsule form.
How do I know if my dog needs digestive enzymes?
Symptoms of enzyme deficiency include diarrhea, bloating, gas, and other digestive issues. Please consult with your veterinarian before supplementing your dog’s diet with digestive enzymes.
Featured Image Credit: Chendongshan, Shutterstock