Dogs need to be hydrated at all times to be able to maintain healthy fur and skin and to be able to regulate their body temperature when the temperature outside becomes too high. Dog water fountains provide your pooch with a continuous flow of fresh water, making it taste better and remain cooler than it would be if served in a bowl. Much like people, dogs also dislike drinking water that’s been sitting around for hours and prefer to have a source of refreshing, clean water all day long. For that reason, water fountains can do a much better job in improving your dog’s drinking habits as they are more appealing to them due to the fact that they offer pure, cool water free of dirt and debris. Also, getting a water fountain will also save you time on cleaning and emptying drinking bowls.
We looked over dozens of dog water fountains aiming to find the best source of fresh water for your pooch, having mind the size, materials, filters, price, Amazon ratings, and many other factors that you should consider before making your purchase. We’ve selected 5 top-rated water fountains you can buy for your furry friend. Keeping your pet hydrated is extremely important when you’re out of the house as well, so if you’re planning to take a trip with your pooch, take a look at our list of the best dog travel water bottles.
Interested in dog food bowls or automatic feeders? Take a look at our pet bowls, feeders and waterers articles.
For top quality dog water fountain of large capacity that provides filtered water, we’ve identified PetSafe Drinkwell Platinum Cat and Dog Water Fountain as a top choice. This dog water fountain features large water capacity suitable for pets of all sizes. Its built-in reservoir minimizes the need for refilling and there is a replaceable carbon water filter that removes bad tastes and odors, keeping water fresh.
The Best Dog Water Fountains
|Best Overall||PetSafe Drinkwell Platinum Cat and Dog Water Fountain||4.0|
|Runner Up||PetSafe Drinkwell Multi-Tier Dog and Cat Water Fountain||3.9|
|Best Budget Buy||Petmate Replendish Gravity Waterer w/Microban||4.1|
|Best Outdoor Dog Fountain||TrioGato’s Outdoor Dog Pet Water Sprinkler||3.7|
|Best Indoor Dog Fountain||Pet Fountain Water Dispenser||4.4|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: PetSafe Drinkwell Platinum Cat and Dog Water Fountain
The PetSafe Drinkwell Platinum Cat and Dog Water Fountain features a free-falling stream that encourages pets to drink more water, and the pumps adjust the stream so that you can customize the flow according to your preferences. Replaceable carbon filters keep the water fresh and give it a better taste by removing unpleasant smells, dirt, and debris. This fountain doesn’t require frequent refills due to its built-in reservoir that increases capacity and extends time between refills. Also, the reviewers emphasize its quietness and durability.
The fountain features 168 oz. water capacity, which makes it suitable for pets of all sizes. It’s BPA-free and top-shelf dishwasher safe. It’s available at the price of $45.
PetSafe Drinkwell Platinum Cat and Dog Water Fountain Key Features:
- Free-falling stream encourages pets to drink more water
- 168 oz. water capacity
- Replaceable carbon filters improve taste and remove odors
- Adjustable water flow
- Built-in reservoir extends time between refills
- BPA-free and top-shelf dishwasher safe
Our Runner Up Pick: PetSafe Drinkwell Multi-Tier Dog and Cat Water Fountain
The PetSafe Drinkwell Multi-Tier Dog and Cat Water Fountain features two-bowl levels which provide two drinking areas for your pets. The upper dish is elevated, making it great for senior pets or those suffering from arthritis. The fountain’s 100 oz. capacity is suitable for pets of all sizes. It also includes replaceable carbon filters that make the water clean and fresh. Additionally, the fountain features a free-falling stream that entices drinking and improves your pet’s drinking habits.
The fountain features a low-voltage submersible pump that helps provide a quiet operation. It’s BPA-free and the reviewers say that it’s extremely easy to clean as it can be washed in a dishwasher. It’s available at the price of $30.
PetSafe Drinkwell Multi-Tier Dog and Cat Water Fountain Key Features:
- Two-bowl levels which provide two drinking areas for your pets
- 100 oz. capacity
- Replaceable carbon filters
- Free-falling stream that entices drinking
- Low-voltage submersible pump helps provide a quiet operation
- Easy to clean in a dishwasher
Best Budget Pick: Petmate Replendish Gravity Waterer w/Microban
The Petmate Replendish Gravity Waterer w/Microban features gravity flow technology slowly dispenses fresh, filtered water, thus prolonging the time between refills. The continuous supply of fresh water improves your pet’s drinking habits as filtered water tastes better than the one simply served in a bowl. This water dispenser also stays clean longer as it features Microban Antimicrobial Product Protection to help protect the base from bacteria and odors. The water dispensers can be used outside and it allows your pet easy access to fresh water during playtime in the backyard.
The water dispenser comes with one charcoal filter, while the replacement filters can be purchased separately. It’s available in 4 capacities, ranging from 0.5 gallon to 4 gallons, making it suitable for pets of all sizes. The dispenser features BPA-free base and plastic bottle. It’s available at the price of $11.
Petmate Replendish Gravity Waterer w/Microban Key Features:
- Gravity flow technology slowly dispenses fresh, filtered water
- Microban Antimicrobial Product Protection included to help protect the base from bacteria and odors
- Suitable for outdoor use
- One charcoal filter included, the replacement filters can be purchased separately
- Available in 4 capacities
Best Outdoor Dog Water Fountain: TrioGato’s Outdoor Dog Pet Water Sprinkler
According to reviewers, your pet will be delighted with TrioGato’s Outdoor Dog Pet Water Sprinkler. This step-on fountain provides a fresh stream of water when your dog steps on the paw imprint, making it accessible to them whenever they want it. It’s easy to install, the reviewers say, and your pets quickly learn how to use it. The fountain can be quickly set up outdoors in your preferred location with no batteries or electrical outlets needed. It features a 40.5″ hose that attaches to your garden faucet or hose. You also get free adapters, connectors and 2-way Y Hose Garden Hose Connector for optimal flexibility.
The fountain is built of heavy gauge steel and copper valve that prevents leakage. You can adjust the flow by using the control valve on the yellow splitter. It also features rubber friction pads to minimize movement when in use. The fountain is available at the price of $40.
TrioGato’s Outdoor Dog Pet Water Sprinkler Key Features:
- Step-on fountain
- Built of heavy gauge steel and copper valve that prevents leakage
- 40.5″ hose that attaches to your garden faucet or hose
- No batteries or electrical outlets needed
- Rubber friction pads minimize movement when in use
- Free adapters, connectors and 2-way Y Hose Garden Hose Connector
- 12-month guarantee
Best Indoor Dog Water Fountain: Pet Fountain Water Dispenser
If you’re looking for a functional dog water fountain that also has a decorative touch, the Pet Fountain Cat Water Dispenser won’t disappoint. This pet water fountain meets the needs of dogs, cats, birds, and other small animals and it can also be used as a pet toy. It has 2L capacity and the stored water can be used for a month. It features 3 water flow settings: flower waterfall, flower bubble, and gentle fountain mode. The recessed sink and water circulation system are designed to increase the contact area of water and air, so that the water would get more oxygen and be healthier and fresher.
This pet fountain is extremely quiet and it features low-power consumption which allows it to run dry up to one week. It’s made of antibacterial PP resin material, which makes it BPA-free and odorless. The fountain is easy to clean and maintain due to its quick-release structure. It includes 2 pieces of replaceable carbon filters, which can be used repeatedly after drying in the sun. The fountain is available at the price of $28.
Pet Fountain Water Dispenser Key Features:
- 2L capacity
- 3 water flow settings
- 2 replaceable carbon filters
- Made of antibacterial PP resin material
- Low-power consumption
- Easy to clean due to its quick-release structure
- 12-month warranty
Who Should Buy a Dog Water Fountain
As a pet owner, you want to provide your pet with the best possible care at all times. Your pet needs a lot of water to stay hydrated and healthy, and serving them water in a bowl can sometimes be off-putting as the water becomes stale after lying around for several hours and loses on freshness and good taste. It can also be tedious for you to empty and clean it repeatedly. Dog water fountains supply your pets with a continuous flow of fresh and cool water, which can encourage them to drink more water during the day and maintain their good health condition. These fountains have carbon filters that clean the water of dirt and debris and remove the bad odors. They are also often made of materials that help prevent the growth of bacteria.
Most of dog water fountains feature large capacity so they extend time between refills. They are also quite easy to clean and maintain and you won’t have to clean them as often as you do with drinking bowls. Dog water fountains can be designed for indoor and outdoor use, and outdoor ones can usually be attached to a facet or a hose, making it a fun pet toy in addition to fresh water source in the yard. Indoor dog water fountains can also have a stylish design that looks nice in your home.
Important Features to Consider
A dog water fountain should do several things well. Here’s what to consider when deciding on the right water fountain for your furry friend:
- Capacity. The first thing to bear in mind when buying a dog water fountain is that it should have enough capacity to meet drinking needs of your dog. How much water your dog needs depends on their size. An average dog drinks up to 1 ounce of water per pound of bodyweight per day. This number can even increase on hot days, so make sure to get a water fountain of appropriate capacity for your dog’s size, so that you don’t have to refill it several times a day.
- Materials. Fountains can be made of different materials, including plastic, ceramic, and stainless steel. If you opt for a plastic one, it’s a good idea to choose high-quality plastic that is free of BPA and toxins to ensure your pet’s safety. Some fountains also feature antimicrobial protection that helps prevent the occurrence of bacteria and odors.
- Filters. Many pet fountains use replaceable filters to remove chemicals, dirt, and debris from the water. They also make the water fresher and improve its natural taste.
- Noise. A pet water fountain shouldn’t be noisy while in use as it might frighten your pets and put them off of drinking from it. The increased level of noise can also disrupt your daily activities, so it’s better to check whether the fountain is silent before making your purchase.
- Design and appearance. Some pet water fountains feature waterfalls to encourage pets to drink more water, while others have recirculating water to achieve the same effect. Although appearance isn’t equally important for everyone, some people prefer these items to look attractive in their home, so you can find plenty of stylish pieces to choose from.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a dog water fountain and how does it work?
A dog water fountain gives your dog access to fresh water throughout the day. The fountain provides automatic flow of fresh, cool water for your dog to drink whenever they want. Some dog water fountains feature waterfalls to boost your pet’s drinking habits, while others feature recirculating water. Many of them include replaceable carbon filters that make the water clean and better-tasting.
How do you clean a dog water fountain?
Some dog water fountains can be washed in a dishwasher, while others can only be washed by hand. Most of them can be easily disassembled for cleaning purposes.
Does a dog water fountain have to be attached to a hose?
Dog water fountains that are designed for outdoor use can require attaching to a hose or a facet. Most indoor fountains run on batteries or require electric outlets.
Does a dog water fountain keep water from freezing outside?
Unless they made of specific, thermal material that is designed to maintain heat even on very low temperatures, dog water fountains won’t keep water from freezing outside.