Most dogs in their lifetime will end up with an injury or surgery that requires them to wear the dreaded cone of shame. Luckily, there is an alternative to this uncomfortable cone – the inflatable dog collar. Inflatable dog collars are much more comfortable than cones while fulfilling the same purpose. They allow your pet to spend their recovery in comfort. Plus, they are also more durable and harder to remove than most cones are. To help your pet avoid being inquired in the future, you might also be interested in an LED collar, which can improve your dog’s visibility.
We reviewed dozens of inflatable dog collars to identify the best of the best. We considered durability, storability, comfort, sizes available, adjustability, ease of use, customer reviews, and stability when ranking each product.
After reviewing dozens of products, the Protective Inflatable Collar for Dogs easily rose to the top as the best option. It is completely bite and scratch resistant, while also being comfortable. Plus, it is washable and inserts through your pet’s regular collar for extra security.
The 5 Top-Rated Inflatable Dog Collars
|Best Inflatable Collar Overall
|Protective Inflatable Collar for Dogs
|E-KONG Protective Inflatable Collar
|Best Budget Inflatable Collar
|Inscape Data Inflatable Dog Collar
|Best Inflatable Dog Collar for Small Dogs
|TANDD Protective Inflatable Dog Collar
|Best Inflatable Dog Collar for Large Dogs
|MIDOG Inflatable Dog Collar
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Protective Inflatable Collar for Dogs
For all around comfort and stability, choose the Protective Inflatable Collar for Dogs. It features loops that insert into your pet’s everyday collar, ensuring that the inflatable collar stays in place. The cover of the collar is scratch and bite proof, so you don’t have to worry about your pet tearing it. This inflatable collar safety prevents your pet from scratching and licking rashes, stitches, and other wounds, while also allowing them to rest their head and avoid the discomfort that comes with the dreaded cone. The collar does not affect your dog’s ability to play, eat, drink, or sleep, though they might have some difficulty fitting into smaller spaces like their crate. It’s like a big pillow around your dog’s neck!
When your dog no longer needs the collar, you can easily deflate it and store it in a small space. You can remove the outside cover by simply undoing the zipper. The cover is washable. If your pet throws up, which commonly happens after surgery, you don’t have to worry about the collar being ruined. This feature also increases the lifespan of the collar. Instead of only being able to use it once, you can safely wash and reuse it for multiple pets. The collar is also adjustable and comes in four different sizes. You really are getting your money’s worth.
Protective Inflatable Collar for Dogs Key Features:
- Outside cover is removable for washing
- Easy to store
Our Runner Up Pick: E-KONG Protective Inflatable Collar
The E-KONG Protective Inflatable Collar is all about comfort. It is designed to work like an airbag around your dog’s neck. It does not obstruct your canine’s vision, eating, or drinking but still prevents them from scratching and biting places they shouldn’t. The inflatable part is covered in a soft cover. This cover is designed for comfort as well as easy cleaning. It is removable and machine washable for easy cleaning. The air ring can also be safely wiped down with a damp cloth, though it is not washable. The material is designed to be as soft and skin-friendly as possible, so it should not chafe or otherwise bother your pet’s skin.
Storing this collar is also very easy. All you have to do is deflate it and roll it up; it fits into very tight spaces and does not take up much room. For adjustability, there is a strap opening in the front of the collar. This strap can be adjusted to make the collar fit your pet’s neck perfectly. There are also four different sizes available, allowing the collar to fit a wider range of canines. When in doubt with sizing, we suggest to size up. It is better for the collar to be a little large than small. Also, make sure you completely inflate the collar. Otherwise, it will not be effective in preventing your pet from reaching their stitches or wounds.
E-KONG Dog Cone After Surgery Key Features:
- Soft, comfortable materials
- Four sizes available
- Outer cover can be removed for cleaning
Best Budget Pick: Inscape Data Inflatable Dog Collar
Though it is less expensive than much of the competition, the Inscape Data Inflatable Dog Collar is still a great choice for many dogs. It is designed to prevent them from licking and scratching wounds and surgical sites, which it does quite well. It comes in four sizes (small, medium, large, and X-large), so you should be able to find one that fits your pooch. It also comes in a choice of blue, gray, and pink.
This collar comes with an adjustable strap so you can better fit it to your dog’s exact size. We recommend you place the strap at the back of your dog’s neck to prevent them from biting it. This collar is also easy to inflate and the convenient design allows your dog to eat, drink, and sleep unobstructed, just like most inflatable dog collars. It can also be deflated to store away easily.
One important thing to keep in mind is that the manufacturers of the Inscape Data Inflatable Dog Collar note that it may be unsuitable for long-bodied dogs with long snouts, legs, and tails (such as Afghan hounds, Dachshunds, Dalmatians, and Dobermanns). However, they generously offer a 90-day refund guarantee if it doesn’t end up working for your pet.
Inscape Data Inflatable Dog Collar Key Features:
- Easy to inflate
- 4 sizes and 3 colors available
Best Inflatable Dog Collar for Small Dogs: TANDD Protective Inflatable Dog Collar
It can be difficult to find an inflatable collar for extremely small dogs. Their necks are just so small that finding an appropriate collar is challenging. Luckily, the TANDD Protective Inflatable Dog Collar is a great option for small and extra-small dogs. The XS size fits dogs with necks up to 3 inches in circumference, while the S size fits necks 5- to 80 inches in circumference.
The collar is super soft, so your dog will find it comfortable to wear. An adjustable strap allows you to easily fit the collar to your pet’s exact neck size. It can be deflated and stored in a small space when not in use. The outside cover is both removable and machine washable.
This collar even comes with a 180-day warranty, so you can rest assured it will get your dog (and you!) through the toughest of times.
TANDD Protective Inflatable Dog Collar Key Features:
- XS and S sizes available
- Removable, machine washable cover
- Fits extremely small dogs
Best Inflatable Dog Collar for Large Dogs: MIDOG Inflatable Dog Collar
Just like small dogs, it can be difficult to find a suitable collar for extra-large canines. Most collars are either too small for them or so large that they are unwieldy and uncomfortable. If your dog is bigger than average, you should consider the MIDOG Inflatable Dog Collar. This inflatable collar comes in two larger sizes: Large (for dogs with necks from 14- to 16-inches in circumference) and X-Large (for dogs with necks from 18- to 24-inches in circumference).
Despite its durability and large size, this collar is still designed to be comfortable. It is made of environmentally-friendly PVC with a soft, comfortable surface. The inflatable design can be adjusted to your pet’s neck using the strap. Other great features include its removable and washable outer cover, and the fact it can be compactly stored when not in use.
The company is so confident in their product that they offer free returns and refunds if it doesn’t work for your pooch.
Aopuwoner Protective Inflatable Pet E-Collar Dogs Key Features:
- Large and X-Large sizes available
- Soft and comfortable
- Easily foldable
- Free returns and refunds
Who Should Buy an Inflatable Dog Collar
At some point in their life, your pet is going to have surgery or accidentally injure themselves. Whether it is a routine spay or neuter or a pesky rash, most wounds and surgical sites require your dog to leave them alone if they are going to heal properly. If your dog continuously licks and bites at them, which is bound to happen if they are given free rein, then the area can have difficulty healing, resulting in an infection. To avoid this problem, a special collar must be used that prevents your pet from reaching the area.
While cones were traditionally used for this, inflatable dog collars are more comfortable and work just as well if not better. While cones can interfere with your dog’s regular activities, an inflatable dog collar allows your pet to eat, drink, sleep, and play normally – all while restricting their ability to lick or bite their torso. For this reason, we generally suggest pet owners use an inflatable dog collar whenever their pet has a surgery, wound, or otherwise needs to quit licking and biting.
Important Features to Consider
An inflatable dog collar should do several things well. Here’s what to consider when selecting an inflatable collar for your dog:
- Durability. Your dog is probably going to be wearing their inflatable collar for at least a week. If your dog has a particularly nasty wound, rash, or tends to lick and pick in general, it could be for even longer. Having a durable inflatable collar is necessary to prevent you from having to buy multiple collars as well as preventing your dog from ripping the collar to shreds and messing with their wound. The last thing you want is to come home and find out that your pet has broken their inflatable collar and hurt themselves. To get a collar you can trust, choose one of our top picks or check the customer reviews.
- Comfort. One of the main reasons owners choose to use an inflatable dog collar over a traditional cone is to keep their canine comfortable. Your dog is already going to be uncomfortable and possibly even in pain, so every little bit of extra comfort can help.
- Unrestricting. This might seem counter-intuitive, but while you do want a collar that keeps your dog from licking and biting, you do not want it to restrict their eating, drinking, or sleeping – which is often the case with traditional cones. After surgery or injury, you want your dog eating, drinking, and sleeping as much as they possibly can. A collar that allows them to do those things without much strain is highly recommended.
- Adjustable. Most inflatable collars come in multiple sizes. However, it is still a good idea to purchase an adjustable dog collar that allows you to fit the collar perfectly to your dog. Otherwise, you run the risk of your canine managing to get around the collar and accidentally hurting their wound or stitches. Some also connect to your dog’s usual collar, which can help them fit more accurately.
- Storability. Luckily, your pet does not have to wear the inflatable collar for forever. When they’re done with it, you’re going to want to store it away – just in case they need it later. Collars that can be deflated and rolled into a small size are easier to store than those that are bulky.
- Ease of Cleaning. Lots of pets throw up or have accidents have being injured or having surgery, especially if they are on any sort of medication. Being able to clean the collar thoroughly is absolutely necessary to prevent it from smelling or causing an infection. Most collars have an outside cover that comes off for easy cleaning, but ensure whatever collar you chose to buy does have this feature before purchasing.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an inflatable dog collar and how does it work?
An inflatable dog collar is designed to prevent your pet from biting and licking their wounds after they are injured or have surgery. Leaving the surgical site or wound alone is necessary to allow it to heal properly and also helps avoid infection. Dogs do not understand this, however, which is why they require a collar that prevents them from bothering their wound or stitches.
An inflatable collar prevents this by putting a barrier between your dog and the wound location. Much like a cone, your dog will simply be unable to reach the area, preventing them from licking or biting it. However, we still recommend supervising your dog as much as possible after surgery or an injury, including taking them outside on a leash instead of letting them roam.
Can dogs sleep with an inflatable dog collar on?
Yes. Inflatable dog collars are basically giant pillows around your dog’s neck. Most dogs have no difficulty sleeping with the inflatable dog collar on.
How long should my dog wear an inflatable collar?
This really depends on what surgery or wound your dog has. For a typical spay or neuter, fourteen days is the recommendation. Of course, this can differ from dog to dog, so always ask your vet and go by their recommendation. For other surgeries or wounds, ask your vet for their suggestion.
Can a dog eat and drink with an inflatable collar on?
Yes. Inflatable dog collars are designed to allow your pet to go about their normal activities, including eating and drinking.